Thanks to Joyce for hosting again this week. Here are the hodge podge of questions:
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
I'd have to say "fiscal cliff" gets my nod... One of the things that truly bothers me about current politics in the US and Canada is that there seems to be a huge need to create crises... Rather than actually governing quietly and making things easier for us 'average janes and joes', they leap from one crisis to the next and give them titles... honestly, was there any need what-so-ever to keep the debate going 'til the brink, other than column inches and soundbytes?
The last train I rode was at Centreville (Amusement park) this past summer with the kids - we took a lovely 10 minute tour of the island:
|Erik and I are in the 5th seat back...|
Yay! Favorite flavor: Onion Favorite Topping: Light Cream Cheese or Ham and Swiss
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
Hairspray or Footloose - the originals not the remakes...
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if seperated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
I think honestly that there are students who perform better in single gender classrooms and others that don't. I love what our Charleston County School District is doing to address those needs here in West Ashley, for instance, there are three middle schools and one of them offers single-gendered core classes while the others have different focuses... We actually toured the single-gendered classroom school for Robyn and while it didn't make our short list, it did outrank other schools we toured in her preferences.
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Someone else makes the bed...
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
I don't have a word for 2013... I'm more focused on helping my boys expand their vocabulary...
8. Inspiration is a funny thing... this week I revisited a topic near and dear to my heart, Autism, because I was inspired by a one word prompt from another blog... I'd love for you to check it out here