Acting Balanced Blog Profile
Acting Balanced is a collaborative blog authored primarily by Heather and Wayne S. We have three fabulous children (born in 1998, 2006 and 2010) who regularly appear in the blg. We also have a number of guest bloggers and interviewees who help to shape Acting Balanced.
Topics found on Acting Balanced– family, recipes, travel, autism, gluten-free living, special needs children, Autism, memoirs, product and book reviews and and any topic that strikes our fancy.
Acting Balanced began in November of 2009 and has continued to grow and diversify as our family changes and grows!
Heather is a thirty-something never-stay-at-home mom of three wonderful children. She lives in South Carolina with her hubby Wayne and the kids. She has no pets, unless you count the dust bunnies that gather while she's blogging instead of dusting. She often gets homesick for Ontario, Canada where she grew up and her family still lives...
Heather loves exploring new places and taking her kids out to enjoy the world around them! Her philosophy is that the world is a classroom and every minute you spend in it you are learning! She is also passionate about sharing her opinions about products, books, services and more!
Heather can be reached at email@example.com
- I was born in Toronto in my mid 70s.
- As a kid I enjoyed playing baseball and going on camping trips to Killbear Provincial Park.
- My first job was working in the same factory as my dad - errand boy, grass cutter and unfortunately bathroom cleaner.
- I went to St. Brigid's Catholic School for elementary ummmm...education.
- I then went to St. Patrick's Catholic Secondary school. A fabulous school which has recently been ranked 660/691.
- On my 16th birthday I worked my first shift at Toronto Parks and Recreation. I would stay another nine years doing that.
- I completed my undergraduate studies at Brock University, my Masters at the University of Waterloo and my Doctorate at Wilfrid Laurier University.
- As an undergrad I won the Gordon Taylor Future Researchers Award for undergraduate research, as a MA student I was the only person ever to receive multiple Statistics Canada Student Research Awards and as a PhD candidate I wonder the ISTTE Graduate Student Scholarship.
- In 2010, I was part of the research team that won the Charles R. Goeldner Article of Excellence Award.
- Two of my post Masters jobs were working as the Tourism Development Coordinator for Chippewas of Nawash First Nations followed by holding the same position with the Walkerton Tourism Recovery Partnership (see me running a dog sled competition above).
- My first journal publication was entitled The Role of Rural Shopping in Canadian Domestic Travel Behaviour in the Journal of Vacation Marketing.
- I married Heather in 1998 (I hope I have that right).
- I taught for a year at the California University of PA before moving to Charleston in 2006.
- I earned tenure & promotion to Associate Professor in 2012.
- Currently, I have published over 75 pieces (journal articles, book reviews & conference proceedings) in since 2004 (flip over the the publications page to see the journal articles).