Lasagna is one of those meals that looks like you spent a ton of time on... and while it is a little more labor intensive than spaghetti, this is a great casserole! I always make a double batch and freeze the second one for later! You can also add some additional color by adding a spinach layer between the cheese and the red peppers - or changing the recipe up completely and substituting the spinach for the red peppers!
Goat Cheese Lasagna w/ roasted red peppers!
2 10-oz (280 g each) logs fresh (not aged) goat cheese - I usually find these near the deli counter
1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
1/2 onion, chopped
1-3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups (500 ml) tomato sauce
1 lb (450 g) lasagna noodles, cooked until barely tender
6 red bell peppers (capsicums), roasted, peeled, seeded,
1/2 cup (125 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine the first six ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
2. Start layering by spreading a small amount of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a lightly
greased 13 x 9 x 3-inch (33 x 23 x 8 cm) baking dish or lasagna pan. Place a layer of lasagna noodles on top, overlapping them slightly.
3. Spread one quarter of the goat cheese mixture over the noodles, top with one quarter of the roasted red peppers and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce, and finish with 1/8 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
4. Repeat three times for a total of four layers, finishing with the tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven until bubbly on top, about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 more minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6 to 8.