This is a yummy, mildly spiced side that works great with fish, chicken and beef...
Chickpeas with Spinach
1 lb (450 g) fresh spinach, thoroughly washed, chopped
4 Tbs (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2-4 whole cloves garlic
1-2 slices white or whole wheat bread, coarsely chopped
1 Tbs (15 ml) red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1 ml) paprika
1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cumin
1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1-2 cups (250-500 ml) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1. Cook the spinach in a dry pan, with just the water that clings to the leaves after washing, until the spinach is tender and dry, then set aside.
2. In the same pan, heat half the oil and fry the garlic and bread golden.
3. Transfer to an electric blender or food processor, add the spices, salt, and pepper, and process until smooth.
4. Add the remaining oil in the skillet, heat and then saute the garlic mixture until it forms a thick sauce - you may need to add a little water.
5. Stir in the reserved spinach and chickpeas and heat through.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.