1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 1-oz squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups cake flour (sifted before measuring)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cream together shortening and sugar. Add well-beaten egg yolks; mix well.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over hot water and add to creamed mixture.
- Sift together the pre-sifted cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix milk, evaporated milk and water together.
- Add alternately with dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture.
- Add flavoring.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them into the chocolate mixture.
Cook in your waffle iron and to with hot syrup, whipped cream or ice cream.
Holiday Alternative: Use 1 tsp peppermint flavoring in place of the vanilla and top with crushed candy canes.
Don't forget to link up and share your favorite recipes in this month's linky: