What I got was anything but nostalgic - I received a box of Roasted Garlic Whole Grain Melba Snacks, a box of Whole Grain Melba Toast and something that I never knew that they made at all... Spicy Cheddar bagel chips!
The first thing that I did, after tasting each one was to head to the Old London website to see what else I was missing out on ... and boy was I surprised!
I am on the look out for such yummy flavors as French Onion bagel chips, Spicy 3 Pepper Melba Snacks and Rosemary and Olive Oil Melba Toast!
I have to say that of the ones I received, I am totally addicted to the roasted garlic Melba Snacks topped with more garlicy good hummus or just plain light cream cheese, although I am still partial to the whole grain melba toast - it's just so close to classic and so good for you! The Whole Grain Melba Toast has just 60 calories per serving and is low in sodium! I love the crunchy texture and crisp taste of these toasts! Robyn is also a big Melba Toast fan! The only down side is that they're not gluten free, so Liam can't enjoy Melba Toast with us, but it just means more for me!
The other thing that I found on the Old London website is that they have a wealth of recipes. One that came in my package is the Mauna Style Mini Pulled Pork Sandwiches - which is delish!
3 lbs bonless loin-in pork roast
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 14- oz can low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1 can of crushed pineapple, drained
1 bunch of green scallions, chopped fine
2 boxes of Old London Melba Toast Sesame
- Cover the bottom of a slow cooker with garlic, onion ginger, chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and chines five-spice powder and stir till well mixed.
- Add roast to slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 8 more hours. When done, remove the roast from liquid and allow to cool slightly
- In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and water to form a smooth paste. Set slow cooker on high and whisk the cornstarch paste into the cooker until sauce comes to a boil.
- Turn heat to low ad allow to simmer for 3 minutes until it thickens into gravy.
- Remove and discard any fat or skin from the meat and using a fork, pull each piece of pork into shreds and place in a separte bowl.
- add pineapple, scallions and just enough of the hot gravy to the pulled port to bind it but not saturate it.
- Place a layer of pork on one piece of Melba toast and top with another slice of Melba.
Now that the recipe has you thinking tropical and Hawaii, you're ready to hear about Old London's fabulous ALOHA OLD LONDON SWEEPSTAKES:
I so want to win this - a relaxing vacation to HAWAII!
Old London is sending one lucky winner and a guest on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation to the Oahu in the Hawaiian islands. The four-day, three-night, all-expenses-paid experience also includes air travel and accommodations. Get more info and enter to win at www.Facebook.com/OldLondonFoods Entries accepted until June 30, 2011
and if you're on twitter join the