I was skeptical when a friend introduced me to this dish, but I have to say that it totally works and if you are looking for a new family favorite for Easter, this might just be it:
1/2 pound butter, melted
1 2/3 cups white sugar - I have also used brown sugar for a different flavor (1c white/ 2/3 cup brown)
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch ground cinnamon, or to taste
1 pinch ground nutmeg
4 cups bread cubes - you can use GF multi-grain or white bread with good success in this recipe, or your own personal favorite if GF is not required in your house.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Grease an 8x10 inch casserole dish with butter.
3. In a medium bowl combine butter, sugar, pineapple, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well.
4. Place bread cubes in the bottom of the casserole dish and pour pineapple mixture on top.
5. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes then remove foil and continue to bake for 20-30 more minutesor until golden brown and set throughout.
6. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Link up your favorite recipes on the monthly linky and then pop over and visit someone to check out their yummy recipe: